This Homemade Tater Tots recipe I created is a crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside tater tot. This is a great recipe for using up all the leftover mashed potatoes you have from a holiday meal but you can also use packaged mashed potatoes.
My recipe for Blue Cheese and Bacon Tater Tots was featured on Nellie Bellie where I contribute easy and creative recipes. Coming over from Nellie Bellie? Thanks so much!
These are the perfect topping on your favorite Minnesota hotdish or if you’re like me, you’ll make this for the most amazing, “You are the best wife ever” appetizer. Keep reading, you’ll find out why.
To make Homemade Tater Tots, start by making the breading (potato chips and bread crumbs).
For the tater tot inside we are using leftover mashed potatoes-mix them with the eggs and flour.
If you want to make my bacon and blue cheese version, add the bacon and blue cheese to the potato mixture.
Yes, I make a total mess when I cook. Bread.crumbs.everywhere. OK, so for these tots I use a small cookie scoop but then I divide the ball once I scoop. That makes me 72 little homemade tater tots. These tots make the perfect appetizer size. Once you get them scooped and rolled they are ready for the fryer. I like to fry them over medium high heat until they are golden brown. Once they are out of the fryer, let them rest on paper towels and give them another shake of salt.
These tots on their own are amazing and perfect to pair with a beer. But sometimes when I’m feeling like the best wife ever, I make poutine. Yes, the homemade tater tots get together with gravy and cheese curds. Best.Wife.Ever.
Homemade Tater Tots
Author: Alice Seuffert
Serves: 6 dozen
- 1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 3 cups Ruffles Potato Chips
- 1 container (24 ounces/3 cups) Crystal Farms Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes or 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Flour
- 24 ounces Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt for seasoning
- For bacon and blue cheese (add 3 ounces cooked bacon pieces and ¾ cup Blue Cheese crumbles).
- In a food processor, pulse bread crumbs and potato chips. Put into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine potatoes, eggs (1 at a time) and flour. Set aside. If you want to make the blue cheese and bacon version, add 3 ounces of cooked bacon and ¾ cup blue cheese crumbles to the potato mixture.
- With a small cookie scoop, scoop potato mixture, divide into two pieces. Drop pieces into crumb mixture and roll around until covered. Use hands to form into desired shape. Place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat until you have 72 pieces.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add tots to oil and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and toss with salt.
Homemade Tater Tot Poutine
Author: Alice Seuffert
- 2 cups Tater Tots (cooked)
- 1 cup Gravy
- 1 cup Cheese Curds
- Toss tater tots with gravy and cheese curds. Heat until curds are starting to melt.
I made my original homemade tater tot recipe on Twin Cities Live on November 16, 2012.