Summer is the perfect time to do some meal planning and freeze ahead meals. Here is a really easy meal for the summer-pizza. It is great for family night and you can make all sorts of different ones and freeze for later. I love the mix of pulled pork and peaches in this recipe.
1 lb pizza dough (I use the recipe from Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in 5 minutes a Day, you can also purchase premade dough from Trader Joe’s or your favorite pizza place).
½ cup BBQ Sauce (I like the Carolina Gold from Trader Joe’s)
½ cup Pizza Sauce
1 cup Gouda Cheese (shredded)
½ lb Pulled Pork with sauce (fully-cooked, about 1 cup). You can find this fully-prepared in most meat sections of grocery stores.
2 Peaches (sliced)
¼ cup Goat Cheese (crumbled)
½ cup Red Onion (sliced)
Fresh mint or cilantro for garnish.
Roll out pizza dough into a pizza dough round. Par-bake the dough on a pizza stone at 525 for about 10 minutes and after 2 minutes check for any inflating and pop with a fork.
Once crust is finished, reduce heat to 375. Remove crust from oven and combine BBQ sauce and pizza sauce and spread on pizza. Top with Gouda cheese, cooked pulled pork, sliced peaches, goat cheese and onion. Return to oven at 375 and bake for 20 minutes. Once cooked top with your favorite chopped fresh herb (I like mint on this pizza).
Makes 1 pizza
Options for freezing and notes:
- Prepare pizza dough recipe (I use the recipe from Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in 5 minutes a Day). You can freeze prepared dough in balls within freezer bags.
- Roll out pizza dough into pizza dough rounds. Par-bake each round on a pizza stone at 525 for about 10 minutes and after 2 minutes check for any inflating and pop with a fork.
- Par-baked pizza rounds can be frozen without toppings in 2.5 gallon freezer bags.
- You can take a par-baked round, add your toppings and freeze. For short-term storage, place pizza in 2.5 gallon freezer bag. For longer-term storage 1+ month: wrap pizza in plastic wrap, tin foil and then put in 2.5 gallon bag.
- To bake a frozen pizza, heat oven to 525 and bake on pizza stone for 10-20 minutes until toppings are cooked.
- For best taste and freshness eat frozen pizza within 2 months.